I've been craving a good mixed media book that incorporates watercolor, gouache, acrylic, collage elements, and I just found the most delightful book! Wouldn't you know it, it has a strong emphasis on BIRDS - Surprise Surprise! I couldn't be happier, and I hope you're just as excited as I am to begin!
This is an eight-week online lesson (via Zoom) in which we study under a selected book & author. This month we do a book study of Geninne D. Zlatkis' Birds In Watercolor, Collage, And Ink. It is important to note that purchase of the selected book or ebook is required for class and is NOT included in the cost of the class. Each week we tackle a new lesson, and I help to further break down and demystify the exercises outlined. This is my take on the lesson, and most lessons I go a bit rogue (as it’s my interpretation of the lesson).
There is limited seating to 20, as kits are provided (limited quantity).
Wk1: pg 35 Vermilion Flycatcher
Wk2: pg 49 Dandelion
Wk3: pg 53 The Secret
Wk4: pg 57 Mountain Bluebirds
Wk5: pg 67 Pelican (This bird is optional, we can choose and alternate)
Wk6: pg 71 Black and White Warbler
Wk7: pg 89 Cactus Wren
Wk8: pg111 Singing Raven
- Book (Mandatory Purchase): Geninne D. Zlatkis' Birds In Watercolor, Collage, And Ink
- Watercolor paints
Gouache Watercolor (optional, you can get away with using your acrylics here)
- Fluid Acrylics (Golden or FW Artist Acrylic Inks or Liquitex Acrylic Ink) *BE SURE YOUR SET INCLUDES WHITE!
- Mixed Media Brushes: 2, 6 and 18/0 (these will be used on watercolor, gouache and acrylic)
- Palette (plastic) for mixing watercolor, gouache and acrylics
- Trace Paper (or parchment paper)
- Graphite Stick (for transfer)
- Watercolor Paper (we'll be using pieces cut down to 6" x 8" (some 6" x 9") and some 8" x 8") so if you get a 9" x 12" pad, you'll be good
- pencil & eraser
- micron 01 and fine tip Sharpie (for tracing)
- Aquabords (a pack of 4)
- Painters Tape (for taping down your watercolor paper)
- Scissors (fussy cutters are best)
- glue stick (with quality adhesive) or PVA or white glue
Kits (included in cost of class):
- (2) 100% cotton paper 6" x 9"
- (1) colorful 100% cotton rag paper
- Assorted ledger, vintage book and tea-dyed graph
- Print out with color images (various birds, hare, coyote, raven, pelican), world map, vintage envelopes and such
- Ephemera (a couple of tags, postal and butterflies and such)
At the time of purchase, you will receive an email from Send Owl, if you do not receive an email within 20 minutes of your purchase, please check your trash or spam mail. In the event that you do not have an email, please reach out, and I will send it to you manually. The Send Owl email includes your class outline and class details. You have three download attempts on this file. In the event that you receive a notice that your access has expired, simply email me, and I’ll reset your access manually.